FAA Ramps Up ADS-B Promotion

The FAA appears to be ramping up its promotion of ADS-B equipage now that the clock is really ticking on getting the gear. With less than two years to go until the Jan. 1, 2020, mandate, the agency is appealing to pilots’ safety sense to encourage them to get it done. The following video, featuring a motorglider operator and the manager of College Park Airport, is located in arguably the most complex airspace in the country. Video follows:

view on YouTube

After installing an NGT9000 I can't see how I could have ever flown without one! It is positively amazing how much traffic is out there and that you don't see. One quickly becomes adept at using it to avoid traffic by going where the others are not. The unit has two sides to its display so you can put traffic on one side and weather on the other. I like having separate dedicated displays for this and not having all that data overlaid on the GPS or other screen as that quickly becomes too cluttered. Besides, if you have an EFB like WingX or Foreflight you can easily see all the traffic displayed there. Why clutter the GPS? Nice part about the transponder display is it can filter down to only the important traffic. Lynx have got this one dead right. It's not bottom of the barrel pricing but if you're in busy airspace all the time it's as good as having an ATC radar display in the cockpit.

Posted by: FILL CEE | February 14, 2018 8:24 AM    Report this comment

The tag line on FAA's ADS-B promo video is misleading. At the end of the video, an unidentified speaker says, "The ADS-B - it gives us all the traffic that's gonna be out there." That's not true. ADS-B will never show aircraft that don't have operating transponders, which includes many classics without electrical systems, of which there are many in the Northeast, Southeast, Texas, and West Coast - coincidentally where ADS-B is supposed to bring the greatest benefit. On the weather side, the display is delayed by a generally unspecified amount of time that could be as long at 10 minutes. In both cases, pilots relying on ADS-B to avoid other aircraft or bad weather will find that reality does not match the display, a mismatch that will have have tragic consequences sooner or later. ADS-B does not replace see-and-avoid, and never will.

Posted by: JOSEPH CORRAO | February 14, 2018 3:21 PM    Report this comment

Dear FAA: yes, will be reluctantly installing this unwanted complication, just as soon as the vendors stop scalping us for it!

Posted by: Ken Keen | February 14, 2018 4:04 PM    Report this comment

ADS-B out is a severe waste of money by idiot bureaucrats!

In all but frequently empty airspace the same data is acquired by ATC radar and existing Mode C (altitude reporting) transponders for use by ATC and to broadcast to aircraft with ADS-B in. Portable ADS-B in can be had for about $150 (I did) added to ForeFlight or other portable solutions. This is as opposed to the $3500 I spent for ADS-B out!

It also violates the Constitution's prohibition of "taking property without compensation" by preventing substantial existing use of private property (aircraft).

The courts usually rule that such restrictions are illegal. An example is when California placed severe development restrictions on existing privately owned oceanfront property. If AOPA had any guts it would have sued the FAA!

It also violates the Constitution's Fourth Amendment prohibiting unreasonable searches by continuously broadcasting the aircraft's N-number and location. It is none of the government's business who's aircraft is there, just that there is one for collision avoidance.

Posted by: Bob Toxen | February 14, 2018 8:13 PM    Report this comment

ADS-B out is a severe waste of money by idiot bureaucrats!

Posted by: Bob Toxen | February 14, 2018 8:14 PM    Report this comment

Because I needed a new transponder anyhow, I just installed a Garmin GTX335 ADS-B out only box. I did it myself because I'm an A&P. I got the box at Airventure 2017 at a promotional price with additional vendors discount, manufacturers discount and got it in and tested in time to get the FAA $500 rebate, too. Cost me about $2500. A Mode C box would have cost me nearly $2K so ... why not. Even cheaper paths to ADS-B compliance are available.

That said, I agree with Bob. One of the first things I discovered was that even without turning the ADS-B squitting function on, ADS-B 1090 transponders are Mode S based and respond to ground based interrogation and squawk back with your "N" number. ALL -- I repeat ... ALL -- 1090 Mode S or ADS-B solutions transmit your "N" number; it cannot be turned off.

On my first test flight, I discovered that Flight Aware uses something called MLAT -- multilateration -- from it's 'hoard' of 'sniffers' and determines your position by using triangulation via timing. Since you're also transmitting your N number, your 3-D path across the ground is recorded by them (and I suppose FAA, too?). Once you turn on the ADS-B function, your 3-D position is determined with more precision and you're transmitting who you are to anyone equipped to listen, decode and display you. I do not like that. The FAA FAR's dictate that IF you have ADS-B, it must be on. So there's no way to "hide" with 1090 ADS-B onboard your airplane. Of course, most of us have nothing to hide but -- still -- I consider it an invasion of my privacy. With ADS-B aboard, if you were flying in a place where few radars are deployed, as long as a FAA receiving site hears you, you're 'in' their system. I'm not sure all FAA ATC facilities can display ADS-B yet ... I'm working on it.

The new GDL-82 UAT solution on the other hand, has a pin to command the box into anonymous mode. You're still transmitting your position and altitude but not your specific N number if you want anonymity. IF, however, you seek FAA flight following or any other such help, you MUST switch anonymous mode off. So a switch for that purpose is required in the cockpit. But you have the ability to remain anonymous. Consider a UAT if this is important to you.

Months after my 'rebate' flight into rule airspace, MY N number can still be called up. NOT good. Beyond that, request a Public ADS-B Performance Report (PAPR) from the FAA and you'll be blown away by what they "have" on you. I predict that at some point in the future, dialing in your pilot # could become a requirement. At that point, computers will be able to automatically "violate" you ... kinda like the red light cameras some places have installed. Let's just see. Caveat Emptor !

Posted by: Larry Stencel | February 15, 2018 10:53 AM    Report this comment

Wait, isn't there a 5 year grace period for us GA participants like there is for the multibillion dollars airline corporations that will soon also control our airspace? Hmmm, that's kinda weird.

Posted by: Samuel Cobb | February 15, 2018 1:19 PM    Report this comment

Seems like there are still some people out there don't get it or are unwilling to cooperate. Here's me: I fly in SoCal. Installed a GDL-88 a few years ago and love it. Also, a 5AMU investment saved my life, my wife's, and that of two blockheads in a Cirrus.

ADS-B incorporates/rebroadcasts primary (no transponder)/secondary radar (with transponder) so, if a controller can see a target it will appear on your display.

ADS-B in only units only respond with traffic when someone else with OUT is around you. I have flown (recently) in an a/c without ads-b out and please understand that if you fly in a less populated area you ARE NOT getting a complete traffic picture. I consider this situation AND YOU More dangerous that a plane flying without an In only setup. This is a debatable design decision that I disagree with but that debate is for another time.

There are now sub 2AMU units on the market with minimal installation requirements. Cost clearly is not at the forefront of the problem now.

Your flight paths have been public for a long time. If you get FF or another service they are often entered in the system regardless of your ADS-B status. What are you doing with your airplane that makes you afraid of someone knowing where you flew?

Posted by: James Hayes | February 18, 2018 3:49 PM    Report this comment