Trump Takes Credit For Airline Safety Record

“Since taking office I have been very strict on Commercial Aviation,” President Trump said in a tweet on Tuesday. “Good news - it was just reported that there were Zero deaths in 2017, the best and safest year on record!” The Hill contacted the president’s press office, asking exactly what steps the president had taken to improve airline safety. “President Trump raised the bar for our nation’s aviation safety and security,” White House spokesman Raj Shah responded. “The president is pleased there were no commercial airline deaths in 2017, and hopes this remains consistent in 2018 and beyond.” The last fatal crash involving a commercial aircraft in the U.S. was the Colgan Air crash in 2009.

Last year was the safest year ever for commercial aviation, worldwide, according to statistics compiled by a Dutch affiliate of the U.S.-based nonprofit Flight Safety Foundation. No one died in a commercial passenger jet crash anywhere in the world. (The data excludes cargo flights, military transports and accidents caused by intentional acts.) The safety record is “the culmination of decades of work by thousands of people,” industry consultant John Cox, a former airline captain and accident investigator, told The Wall Street Journal. According to The Atlantic, “The president’s claim can’t withstand even slight scrutiny…. Changes in statistics like air safety are achieved over long time scales, and given the small number of crashes involved, minor deviations in the number are unlikely attributable to any specific presidential action—especially one taken in the just under a year Trump has been in office.”

IMO I do not believe the site should indulge in articles involving politics. Trump, "Since taking office I have been very strict on Commercial Aviation; press office, President Trump raised the bar for our nation's aviation safety and security, President Trump only informed about his agenda on aviation and the press office confirmed, neither said or elaborated to the fact he took personal credit for the safety record. SHAME. Oh and I am an independent not attached to any party or affiliation, am 72 years young and have been flying for over 56 years.

Posted by: Allen Churchwell | January 3, 2018 10:23 AM    Report this comment

I have never seen a politician able to resist "post hoc, ergo propter hoc" when claiming credit for some outcome that was only minimally related to a policy, regulation, or law for which they advocated. On the other side of the aisle we have Schumer (among others) claiming the 1500 hour minimum time requirement for airline pilots is the only reason there hasn't been a repeat of the Colgan accident.

Posted by: MICHAEL MATISKO | January 3, 2018 11:19 AM    Report this comment

I agree with Allen, the quotes don't support the article's title. The subsequent questions do; however, infer he's taking credit. My inference is that he's talking about passenger screening. The quotes are too vague to draw the conclusions the title suggests. How about renaming the article?

Posted by: Robert Mahoney | January 3, 2018 12:13 PM    Report this comment

I'm glad Trump is President and not an airline pilot!

Posted by: Chester Robbins | January 3, 2018 1:57 PM    Report this comment

Although he is well known as a superb chief safety pilot for large aircraft, he hasn't done a thing for general aviation -- for us private pilots in our little planes.

I know that when Trump flies as my copilot he's a royal pain. He does nothing to ensure the safety of the flight. On the ground all he does is look out at the the other aircraft and say, "That plane is YUGE." Or, "My ridder is bigger." Things like that.

Then, once we get in the air, the problems really start. He's constantly fidgeting with the switches, screwing with the radios, and asking to redirect the flight to Mar-a-Lago. And you can't shut the guy up. How many times can he comment on clouds? "That cloud is a bad cloud. Bad." " Look at that ugly cloud." "Those are fake clouds. Fake clouds."

Yes, I know that when he pilots the commercial airliners he does a much better job. I just wish he would take general aviation more seriously, so that one day we can be as safe as the big boys.

Oh hell. Just got a text from Donald. He wants to copilot on my trip to Yuma. I wish he would stick to being President and leave aviation safety to the experts.

PS Got to get Al Gore on the phone. I've got a problem with my internet connection.

Posted by: Alan Horowitch | January 3, 2018 3:30 PM    Report this comment

Yes, I know that when he pilots the commercial airliners he does a much better job. I just wish he would take general aviation more seriously, so that one day we be as safe as the big boys.

Posted by: Alan Horowitch | January 3, 2018 3:32 PM    Report this comment

well, how did that go.... the last two comments are not fit for the integrity of av web's status among serious aviation enthusiast. every post should carry the person's real name.

Posted by: Allen Churchwell | January 4, 2018 6:46 AM    Report this comment

Posted by: Allen Churchwell | January 4, 2018 6:47 AM    Report this comment

Using logic and rational thought....
Trump DID NOT take credit for the safety record. It said that he's strict with airlines and it's good news that there were no deaths in 2017.

What followed were interpretations from the Hill, Wall Street Journal and The Atlantic, social media pundits, and and now AvWeb. It's a shame that there is no journalism (or even just reporting without a political slant) these days...

Posted by: Mark Fraser | January 4, 2018 9:29 AM    Report this comment